Wednesday, May 5, 2010

That.Kid - And A Quest

I do not want "That Kid."
  You know, the one that never listens. 
The one that thinks it's acceptable to talk back to adults. 
The one that nobody wants around. 

I pride myself on having a phenomenally well behaved son.  Yes, I am bragging.  Calvin is very well behaved.  I am a parent first, friend second.  I set clear expectations and expect clear results.  I instill into him the philosophy that every choice has a consequence - good or bad.  I find myself agreeing 9 times out of 10 with the parents on the t.v. show World's Strictest Parents. 

Some of you are rolling your eyes saying, "He's only four!"  Well, you're right.  He's only 4.  But he's the best behaved 4 year old I've ever met.  I look around at children much older and heck - even adults and wonder how they turned out the way they did.  That fuels my strict parenting.  My ultimate goal isn't to create a good kid - it is to create a good adult. 

This process started shortly after birth.  He's always known what was expected of him.  At age two, Calvin knew how to stand at attention.  This sounds harsher than it really is.  I got tired of trying to discipline or explain things to him while he lost focus.  Standing at attention keeps him focused.  It also makes the whole process a lot quicker.  At age three, we implemented push-ups in time-out.  What's the point of time-out if the child can see the t.v., play with his feet, or whatever else?  I decided to make time-out purposeful with 5 or so push-ups.  Besides, who couldn't use a few push-ups now and then?  By the way, his push-ups are far from military standards - more like his little but is humping the ground - but whatever, it is productive. ;)

My strict parenting style has been criticized by a few people.  But, when I remind these people of how well behaved Calvin is, they can't disagree that my style works.  It works for us.  Every family is different.  Every child is different. 

Let me take a moment to remind you of the dozens of posts on this blog displaying my love for Calvin and all of the fun adventures we go on.  He does not do without love or affection.  He has been the center of my world for the past four years.  I absolutely adore him.  He's an amazing son, role model, and friend. 

I am not the most patient person.  One day God will grant all of my prayers for patience.  ;)  Until then, I'm on a personal quest to become a more patient mother.  I'm looking forward to enjoying a Summer with Calvin.  I'll keep you posted.  Wish me luck! 

5 comments:

Lindsay said...

Christina, i think that you have a well-behaved son. It is amazing when you go out in public and you see the many parents who do not care about their children. It really is sad that they dont care about their future anymore than they do. Enjoy your summer with Calvin!(before Peanut gets here)

Steph said...

Calvin is a good kid. You should be proud of yourself. If we have a kid that is "that kid", I'll probably send them to live with one of our moms.

Christina said...

Lindsay, Thank-you! You're right about the children you see out in public like at restaurants and Wal-Mart. Ugh. They annoy me - but worse, their parents piss me off for not teaching them right from wrong.

Christina said...

Steph,
You crack me up saying you'll send your "that.kid" to live w/ your mom. I remember how strict my mom was with me and my brothers. And my Dad... he was even stricter with me. Then along came Calvin and all rules went out the window. It's like they morphed into someone else the day they became grandparents! :)

Dawn said...

I agree completely. My mom constantly fed the kids stuff that I never got. So perhaps a tad different...but still!