Thursday, December 3, 2009

The. Gift.

Yesterday was Mom's birthday.  I'm pretty sure she turned 29, but maybe I'm wrong... 28???  ;-)  Tis the season to kiss some butt!  Hehehee! 

Anyway, I think Mom had a pretty terrific birthday.  Calvin and I took her out for lunch at the Hilton.  It was the perfect place to celebrate Mom's big day.  We gave her cards and a very appreciative gift.  We walked the Convention Center hall to look at the gorgeous Christmas decorations.  After she left us, she met up w/ Poppy for more birthday fun.  She went home with a fire place!  What a gift!!!  :-) 

At lunch, Mom presented Calvin with a new Christmas book and had a bag for me.  She said it would make me cry, and wanted me to wait til I got home to open it.  It was touching.  So special.  Mom's Betty Crocker cook book!  It is a part of our family.  See, we moved a lot.  But one thing always stayed the same:  That cook book in our kitchen. 

Inside she had a very touching card and a special letter to me, telling me the story of my original family:  Mom, Dad, and Me.  The letter was full of love, kindness, and fond memories of their time together.  Things I'd never heard, because we were never allowed, or rather avoided ever talking about.  This special cook book was a gift at Mom's wedding shower back in 1981, before she married my Dad.  The cook book was a part of the home they shared.  And I will treasure it every single day. 

Thank-you, Mom.  Olive Juice. 

5 comments:

Lindsay said...

very thoughtful gift. now chris will be expecting some yummo dishes. hehe

glad your day was good!

Amber M said...

awww, that is so sweet. I have a tear.

Steph said...

How exciting! Very sweet!

Dawn said...

That is so touching! tear drops....

Bridget said...

Christina what a gift. I know how much it means to you to hear a time that was happy with your Mom and Dad. Enjoy your gift:)