Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Christmas Time Is Coming!

I'm as excited as anyone else about the Big Man in Red shimming down our chimney in a few weeks.  I love Christmas.  I used to not.  But, having a child definitely changes that.  I LOVE shopping for Calvin.  Some may say I have a slight addiction.  So, Christmas is an excuse for me to go all out for Calvin!  I've been known to go a little overboard. 

Anyway, back to my point... I'm as excited as the next person for Christmas.  BUT, won't all that Christmas candy at Wal-Mart go bad before Christmas?  Is it necessary for Kohls to play Christmas music already?  Serious... I caught myself humming "Leroy the Redneck Reindeer" in the shower this morning.  (If you aren't familiar with this holiday classic, I highly recommend you YouTube it.) 

We just wrapped up Halloween last weekend and already we're planning for Santa's big arrival.  The poor Turkey gets overlooked every year.  Before you know it we'll be celebrating Black Friday Instead of Thanksgiving! 

I don't start Christmas shopping til the day after Thanksgiving.  Black Friday is a family tradition shared among my favorite aunts.  We hit up the stores early (way before day break), separate to cover more stores when they open, stand in long lines, spend entirely too much money on "good deals", have lunch and a daiquiri at Red Lobster, do a little more shopping, start driving home... when Aunt Dana will insist that we stop at Tuscola... and possibly Mattoon... and even maybe Effingham Wal-Mart, and then we go home - to sleep because Black Friday is a workout! 

Some may wonder why we do all of this every year... I mean, it sounds exhausting to say the least, but it's part of our holiday tradition. 
And we wouldn't have it any other way.  :-) 

5 comments:

Lindsay said...

i love, love, love Black Friday. What is even better is my sister goes to school in Champaign so we wont have to get up at 3 am to leave like we normally do but,instead its just walking distance from her apartment. lol

I cant believe you guys stop all the places on the way home. I am usually exhausted by the time we leave Champaign. lol

Amber M said...

I love Black Friday too!!! My mom, sisters and I start in Olney, then eat breakfast, then either head to Eff. or Terre Haute(also have lunch at red lobster and drinks..hehe). if we go to Eff., then we finish up in Mattoon(lunch at Cody's with drinks...lol) It is always a fun day!!!

I'm getting excited thinking about it!!!

Dawn said...

I'm looking forward to this year, always do. HH and I celebrate it as our anni. weekend and ship the tots off and spend the weekend together. We shop. We eat. We're together. :) Need I say more?

Steph said...

No black Friday for me. It actually scares the crap out of me. Too many people.

Bridget said...

I am so excited for Christmas, I love it and all it entails! Cant wait to start shopping..oh wait I already did!