Monday, August 31, 2009

The 1st Day of the next 15 years of school...


Today was a very big day for Calvin. It was his very 1st day of pre-k. 2 years of pre-k + 1 year of Kindergarten + 12 years of school = 15 years... this was the first day of the next 15 years at T-Town school. Of course he was styln' in Tommy Hilfiger and new Nike Shox. :-) He is in Mrs. Bierman's class. He absolutely adores her. Lucky for me, she's my cousin and I can trust that she will take very good care of Calvin.




I took him to his classroom today. Isn't that like a requirement for Mom's? :-) At first glimpse of his classroom and new classmates, he was overwhelmed. After getting him settled, I headed out... trying not to tear up.



Aaron (Calvin's dad) came over to greet Calvin when he got off the school bus. Calvin's extra lucky because Caleb's grandma is the aid on Calvin's bus! We have a close family and do lots of stuff with Lisa and Gary. They've become a part of our family. She waved like a proud grandma as Calvin got off the bus.


Like planned, Calvin took me on a date to Pizza Man for lunch to celebrate his 1st day of school. Unfortunately, it was not the celebration I had anticipated. Instead, he confessed that he did not like school, that he made no friends, and some boys wouldn't let him go to the bathroom. He said the best part of school was the bus ride and that was so much fun that he wants to return to school tomorrow.


I'm a little bummed. Calvin is a likeable kid. Everybody that meets Calvin loves him. He is generous, intelligent, funny, and has a great big heart. He doesn't understand that other 4 year olds aren't just like him - that some of them misbehave more often than he does. I'm a tough mom - seriously. I'm hard on him, set high expectations, and I follow through on punishments. Anyway, my point is that today he didn't meet a new bff. He's worried that he won't make any friends. I am sure it was just the first day jitters. Tomorrow will be a better day. And, I'm almost 100% sure that by Friday he will love school and have lots of new friends!

7 comments:

Bridget said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bridget said...

I am sure he will find his new bff very soon and one day will look back on when they used to say "laugh" and will crack up.

Can't wait to read more about his first week at preschool.

Christina said...

Bridget, I was talking to Chris earlier and he said he didn't remember his first day of school. I totally do. I remember you and Christa H on the bus. Good memories. :-) Not sure I could have survived Ted N and Tanner K without you! Sometimes, when I need a quick picker-upper, I remember you saying, "laugh" in Mrs. S's class. We would bust up laughing so hard! Thank-you for being a good friend. :)

Aubrey said...

Are you talking about Tanner Kirby?? I wouldn't have survived him!! And I am a few years older!!

Glad Calvin wants to go back to school and hope the 2nd day goes better for him than the first. He's super cute!!

Steph said...

Awww... how cute! I'm sure he will start making new friends real soon.

Jenny S. said...

All your little man is growing up SO fast! Gosh time flies. I still remember him as the little spitfire before he could even walk! Hope tomorrow goes better with the whole friend thing! I miss that little man! Hope all is going great in your house!

Dawn said...

Calvin will be fine because he's freakin' adorable and so sweet. Just give him a few days. Can't wait to hear about it after a full week.