Monday, June 1, 2009

A Graduation Soap Box

Just incase you're not from around here, let me explain that I live in a good old fashion small Catholic town. Everybody knows everybody or someone that knows somebody. Almost everyone goes to the same church and well, 1/2 the town is related. At least 1/3 of the community are farmers. We don't have a huge meth problem or even gangs.


Get the picture? We're small town, country people.


So then why in the heck were their cops at the THS graduation last night??? First, my brother said they had to take a breathalizer before entering the high school. Then, they were told that they would be searched to make sure they had no noise makers, silly string, etc to celebrate at the end of graduation. WTH?!? To make matters worse, there are 4 doors in our gym. There were cops at every single door. 2 of these cops were at the doors where the grads entered, so they were in the pix.


At the end of the graduation, when the grads usually spray silly string - they were told not to do anything of the sorts - - - or their diplomas would be revoked. WTH?!? To my knowledge, previous grads never vandalized the gym - so why are the '09 grads being treated this way.


Oh, I forgot to tell you that not only in the program was there a list of rules for the audience to abide by, but then the first speaker reinforced these rules. They were common sense like: be courteous of others when taking pictures, children must remain with an adult at all times, etc. It was a bit dramatic and condescending to say the least.


Let's just say that the overyly dramatic actions placed by the school board and enforced by the law enforcement gave THS a bad name.

5 comments:

Lindsay said...

Christina its Lindsay Schabbing- i just found your blog through myspace
you may or may not know me i was in your biology class at lakeland
my sister is in your brothers class and i was told that the graduates couldnt even be together one last time before graduation-they were put 24 to a room

Christina said...

Lindsay, I totally remember you. :-)

That's crazy about being put in separate rooms. Did I miss the memo about THS being a juvenile detention center!

Bridget said...

Wow! That is really ovet the top, they took all the fun out of graduating. What harm does a little silly string do?

Candy said...

Well Christina,
Life at THS is NOT what we remember it! I graduated in 1988 but thanks to Mr. Beck (current principal) and the spineless school board, he has turned THS into a militant school. You have Calvin coming up the ranks of our school system but let me tell you, the more you know, the less you will be impressed by the Teutopolis school district. I used to be proud of where I came from but no more. Between graduating my sister, Erin, and my current kids, in 7th and 4th grade, I have ALOT of issues. Lets just say most teachers know my name by parent teacher conferences. You will have many WTH moments. If you ever want details about our beloved district, I will be glad to share. Candy

Lindsay said...

Yes you did Christina!! It was so front headlines. haha