Thursday, June 4, 2009

The gift gone wrong

Forgive me if I seem a bit dramatic about the subject. 

Scenario:  Chris does a crap load of driving.  He has complained about the boring drives and how much nicer it was when he had Sirius Satellite Radio.  Me, the good wife, thought I'd get him Sirius Satellite Radio as an early Father's Day gift - just in time to use for our trip to Michigan. 

After a lot of research and a shopping trip to Best Buy in Champaign, I brought it home last night.  I did not get the reaction I was hoping for.  I thought he'd be thrilled.  He was not.  He does not want it.  He recently improved his mp3 situation in his car and now listens to it all the time.  So, he doesn't see the need nor does he think he'd use the SSR.  I am returning it while in Michigan next week. 

I love, Love, LOVE giving gifts.  I put a lot of thought into the gifts I give people.  And my reward is seeing their smiling faces.  I don't think I've ever been in this situation before where I put so much thought and planning into a gift and for the receiver to dislike it.  Do I have the right to claim hurt feelings or am I being too dramatic? 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you. Its like getting a broken heart. You think that they are going to be so happy and love it and then they dont even want it. Sorry that he was disappointed. If I dont like a gift I still act like I love it. I hate hurting people's feelings

Mrs R said...

I hear you on that one. I love trying to make people happy with gifts and it is disappointing when something like that happens.

Lindsay said...

awww thats disappointing. if i get a gift i dont like i always try to act like i like it. sorry to hear he was disappointed.

Dawn said...

That is SO disappointing. Silly Chris.

Anonymous said...

I think he is a very intelligent man, who is thinking ahead and trying to save a little money on an item he may not need so much...However,if this gift did not include a monthly subscription it would be a different situation..

Christina said...

Hey Chris - I obviously know you were the last to comment... I'm still not happy about this. But I'll gladly return your gift and shop at Ikea today! Ha! ;-)

HH said...

I feel where you are coming from Christina. It is crushing. Couldn't he just have faked the surprise to see the smile on your face, but you have to look at the honesty in what he said. Knowing that he wasn't afraid to be honest with you is a bigger gift to you then his smile for what you were trying to give him. The two of you are a beautiful together. Chris way to stay strong and be honest. I admire the saving money thing, but be careful what you may turn away may get spent anyways....LOL. JK. Yall are awesome and I enjoyed the post. Yes Christina you reserve the right to be hurt and on the flip, Chris you were right by being honest with her. Keep on doing what you guys do best.....being there for each other.
Thanks
HH