Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Dude. Are you serious?!?

The other day, while doing a little shopping in Weber's Jewelry I got a call... I didn't recognize the number but it was local so I answered. The man introduced himself. I thought I must have misunderstood him and asked him to repeat himself. Yes, I was right it was Sgt. So-and-so from the Army Reserves. The conversation when something like this:


Sgt: "Ma'am we're calling recent graduates and you are on my list."
Sgt: "Are you going to College?"
Me: "Yes."
Sgt: "What is your major?"
Me: "Desktop Publishing."
Sgt: "Have you ever considered how you'll pay for college?" - pause - "How exactly are you paying for college?"
Me with some sarcasm because I couldn't believe the Army Reserves were trying to recruit me: "I'm a veteran. I have my G.I. Bill."
Sgt - stumbling to find words because he realized he flubbed up: "Well, have you ever considered the Army Reserves?"
Me very matter of factly: "No. I was in the Air Force. Why would I go from the Air Force to the Army? That doesn't make any sense."
-Pause- while he probably wondered how he got this all confused.
Besides, I'm not a recent graduate so no idea how he got my number.
After an awkward pause I thanked him, told him if he had any recruits for the Air Force that they needed help with to give me a call, and then I hung up.


Seriously, I give a lot of credit to all of our service men and women in every branch of the military. But going from the Air Force to the Army is like leaving the Ritz Carlton for a Motel 6. Agree?

4 comments:

MrsRuholl said...

Oh my... I don't really want to touch that with a ten foot pole... but to me its not about what's better its about what the individual wants to do.

I'm guessing there are a few people that have left the Air Force and then joined the Army, for whatever reason.

Matt likes to dis the nation guard. I try to tell him its a personal preference. It doesn't mean anyone or any branch is any better than the next.

Sarah B. said...

I was in the Army and I agree...lol. I always tell people..go Air Force, they have more money..enough said. :)
And so funny because I got a call last week from the Army Reserves...he got my number from the college I graduated from last year. I aksed him where I got my number and he said he they don't usually disclose that info and I asked if it was the college and he said yes...so this guy probably got your number from the school.

Dawn said...

So Jon's technically Army so I'm not about to get into the Army vs Air Force debate, to me, it's all military. You served our country. Go you. I do think it's hilarious that the Reserves called trying to recruit you...It's called homework, he should have done his.

Mommynightowl said...

lol.

what are you going to study?

did I tell you my husband is trying to join the air force? he had to lose a bunch of weight, 12 more pounds to go.