Thursday, March 19, 2009

"Creative Destruction"

I just finished a short research paper I titled, "The Truth behind Wal-Mart’s Impact on the Economic Downfall in the United States and Around the World"


I am appauled at my findings. Wal-Mart is BAD! Really bad! I am a Republican... and Republicans usually favor Wal-Mart's anti-union notions... but I am still anti-Wal-Mart! I had no idea how low their wages were. Or how they import 70% of all goods on their shelves from China where 40M peasants are tediously working for subpar (to say the least) pay! Let me give you an idea of exactly how much Wal-Mart imports from China: If Wal-Mart was its own country, it would be China's 8th largest trading partner!!! That's craziness!


Now you're wondering why they import so much. Well... good ole Same Walton lived by his theory of selling more goods than selling goods for more. He believed in cutting costs down to the bone - and then finding a way to cut them even more. This led to producers that supply Wal-Mart with goods, to have to outsource the work because they couldn't afford to pay American minimum wages or expected pay salaries - and - be able to sell the products to Wal-Mart at the prices Wal-Mart was demanding. And even now, Wal-Mart expects producers to find ways to lower costs of production every year.


Here is a list from Wake-Up Wal-Mart.


Joseph Schumpeter summed it up best when he coined the phrase,
"creative destruction."


Will I go back to Wal-Mart... honestly, yes. I am an awful American. I wish our town had more accessibility to small town businesses instead of major big box retailers like Wal-Mart. Unfortunately, there just aren't many options here. I will however think first. I will visit local retailers when possible. Maybe we local peeps could come up with a list of places we could go to get what we need other than from Wal-Mart.

  • If you're in Effingham, I encourage you to visit the local downtown stores like Over The Moon, Midwest Office Supply, The Last Straw, and Cradle Plus.
  • In Effingham and need tires or an alignment, visit Al's Tire Mart!
  • If you're in T-Town, swing by Fuddle's for your weekend beverages!
  • If you're in Newton, eat at The Freeze and shop for tires at Newton Tire Center!
  • If you're in Dieterich, shop at Wright's Furniture!

Lets try to keep what's left of our small town stores open!

I could go on and on. I have a lot to say about this. But, I'll leave you to do your own research and form your own opinions.


My question to you - and don't be afraid to be honest: Would you pay more for American made goods that supported our own economy? Or, would you chose to pay less at Wal-Mart?

7 comments:

Chris said...

I definitely would pay more for American made goods (especially cars and tools). I try to go to the local stores as much as possible, but Wal-Mart is so convenient. I typically research big buys before I make a purchase and if possible I buy American, but it is getting hard to find any products with the “Made in the U.S.A.” sticker on them anymore. I remember seeing that sticker on many things as a kid. I have not seen that “Made in U.S.A.” sticker in many, many years.

Sara T said...

Hi Christina - long time reader of your blog - first time commenter... :-)
Really liking your post today - thanks for making people think!
I agree that I hate the "idea" of Wal Mart - but I too will probably never completely cut ties with them (too convient and sometimes with two small kids - low prices are the main concern)- but i have disciplined myself to shop there less and less. I try to use Sav A Lot, Martins, and the Dollar Stores more then I use Wal Mart now.
This past weekend while shopping at big lots in mattoon i found little plastic trucks that were MADE IN THE USA - i was so surprised as I find so few toys that are made here now that I had to buy a couple! Easter Bunny will bring them to my girls!
FYI - I have found that B & R Beverage in Eff is a good place for "spirits" now that Kroger is gone too.

mylifeastina said...

I too wont be able to cut Wal-Mart out of my budget.. although I would like too! I do shop A LOT at Sav-a-lot and I have found myself going to KMart. Alhtough I do not know the story behind KMart. Wal-Mart is just so easy... One Stop Shop. I could try Mendards more since they carry a little groceries now. I will have to be a little more careful

Sarah D said...

I love seeing the Freeze shout out! As a former Freezer and life long Freeze lover, if you don't go, you are missing out!!

I honestly will never quit going to Wal-Mart (unless I am killed in trying to get into Wal-Mart in a stampede on black Friday).

Candy said...

Christina,
This is a GREAT blog topic. I have been made very aware of Wal-Mart's tactics over the years through my patients who have been employees. Let me tell you how shocked I was at some of the info they provided me. Wal-Mart is horrible on a multitude of levels. I WOULD pay more for local merchants because THEY pay their employees BENEFITS! If I can help these local retailer do that, I feel better because somebody is supporting themselves and a family. I am so bitter over the political crap that if I can not give anyone my money who is destroying America I will do my best, even if it costs me a few more dollars to do so. Shop wisely and if at all possible, stay away from Wal-Mart! Keep up the good work. Candy

Bridget said...

Christina, I would pay more for American made products. They are hard to find and enven some of the things that say made in america, were just put together here all the parts were made in china or japan.

I try to shop as much as I can at IGA but as you know we are so limited here where to buy stuff.

Dawn said...

You know I'm all anti-Wal-Mart for a variety of reasons and I have no problem praying a higher price for something that helps our economy.