Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Mama Kat's Weekly Writing Assignment: Christmas Traditions

It's time for Mama Kat's Weekly Writing Assignment.
The Prompts:

1.) Write or share a letter to Santa.
2.) Describe a faovrite Winter memory.
3.) Last night it snowed buckets and you are forced to spend the entire day at home with your family...what's the plan!?!
4.) What's the best gift you've ever gotten/given.
5.) Describe a Christmas tradition that you have started with your own family?


First, I wrote a letter to Santa... it was cute and a little funny. Then, I realized that I'm just kidding myself. I am sure to be on Santa's Naughty List this year. ;-) And really, it has its rewards, if you know what I mean. ;-) teehee*

So, I decided to write about Christmas traditions.


Christmas really is the time of year where there are many traditions that get passed down from generation to generations. It's a warm, cozy time of year where you have traditions you can rely on and that is as comforting as a big hug.


For me, Christmas cinnamon rolls are a tradition that I cherish. For as long as I can remember my mom has made her secret recipe homemade cinnamon rolls that we ate after opening gifts from Santa on Christmas Eve morning (yes, Christmas Eve. My parents were divorced - this is how it worked). This tradition started when it was just me and my mom and she'd invite my Grandpa Joe and Grandma Veleara over to watch me open my gifts when I was just a little girl. Then, came my brothers and they grew up knowing the tradition of mouthwatering cinnamon rolls Christmas Eve morning. Years have come and gone but we always knew we'd have those cinnamon rolls. The last few years Christmas has been different at my mom's house. Well, for starters it's no longer at her house. She is in love with a wonderful man and moved in together a few years ago. He has children of his own from a previous marriage that range in age from 13-27. So, Christmas eve has gone from our usual four-some of Mom, me, Jake, and Phillip to a larger, less personable group of people. It doesn't feel like it did before mostly because there is like a line drawn in the room Christmas Eve between "his" family and "our" family that now includes Chris, Calvin, my nephew Cooper and the dates Jake and Phil bring. Each side of the line has its own traditions and ways of doing things and really... none of us want to compromise. But, we have accepted it and are happy that Mom has someone to share her life with. But, with all of this change, Mom had still made her classic cinnamon rolls, and that really meant the world to me and my brothers.


Last year was the very first time my mom didn't make her famous cinnamon rolls. It broke my heart. I understood that she didn't have the time. But, I felt like she didn't realize the importance of these cinnamon rolls. It was "our" Christmas. The way "we" did things. And that was not something my brothers and I wanted to give-up. We weren't trying to be mean to Mom about it, but it was obvious that we were disappointed. We each would have given up our gifts to have cinnamon rolls instead. This year I asked Mom to make me her special cinnamon rolls for me to take with us to Florida. She fully planned on making them. Yesterday she called to tell me that she just wouldn't have the time to make them because of her hechtic work schedule. I understood. And, I realize that again this year there will be no cinnamon rolls to represent our family's Christmas tradition.


So, it got me thinking... I cannot expect Mom to make the cinnamon rolls. She has a busy schedule. And I can't gripe about something that I'm not willing to change. So, by next year I will learn how to make them. So, my brothers and our families will have sweet, savory cinnamon rolls to enjoy on Christmas Eve morning next year and I will see to it that our tradition does not stop now that we have joined another family for Christmas.

*** --- *** ---






Our basement flooded this year. Like 3' of standing water. Yeah, it was pretty bad. It ruined our artificial Christmas tree. We planned to get a replacement, but they are so pricey... especially the ones we really liked. Since Calvin's grandparents on his father's side have a tree farm, we decided to head out there to get a real tree. Although Calvin is only 3, he spends many hours at the tree farm helping his dad and grandparents saw, shake, and sell the trees. He takes pride in his hard work and tells us great big tall tales of his tree farm escapades. So, he was pretty excited to get a tree from his tree farm.

The three of us with some expert advice from Calvin's Grandpa Ron picked out a gorgeous tree. Really, beautiful! We love it! And, we loved the whole process of picking one out and taking it home. It was so festive and made it feel like Christmas. I think this year is the first year of a new tradition of heading out to the Althoff Tree Farm for our real Christmas trees.




6 comments:

Jenners said...

Visiting from MamaKat's writers workshop posts...

This was beautiful and sad at the same time. I feel so sorry that you lost something so precious to your heart. Does your mom really know how important those cinnamon buns are? Good for you for taking it on yourself to keep the tradition going!

Melissa said...

Great idea for you to carry on the tradition...it will be great for your son!!

And I am SOOOOO sorry to hear of the loss of your dad!! I definitely know the loss of a parent, is tremendously difficult; especially for your father in such a tragic way ( i watched my mom for 4 months as dhe "lost her battle" with cancer) :(

It helps so much to talk to others who have experienced the same loss because it helps to share my feelings with somebody who understands!!

Dawn said...

If you ever need someone to tastetest the cinnamon rolls, I'm your gal.

La Pixie said...

I love the idea of cinnamon Christmas rolls. so cute and sweet.

I love picking out a tree. I would die if we had a fake one.

p.s. even if youre naughty, you should write to Santa. he can be pretty forgiving!

J Cosmo Newbery said...

Those rolls sound good!

Mommynightowl said...

Thats a great tradition, especially since it's a secret recipe you can pass on to kids and grandkids. I bet they are delicious.