Monday, June 30, 2008

A Walk Through the Gates of Heaven

Over the last few days it has been brought to my family's attention that my Dad did not die alone. There was a lady (that I will leave anonymous) that was driving to work a short distance behind Dad. As she came over the hill she saw the accident immediately after it happened. She is a nurse. And quickly got out of her car to help the other driver and my Dad. The other driver knew my dad was in far worse shape than he was. Even though Dad's car had smoke coming from it, the other driver, Shane, managed to get the passenger door open and the lady climbed inside.

She first found a pulse and tried to talk to my dad. He was unresponsive. She could tell at first sight that he had sustained severe chest damages. However, he did not moan and did not seem to be in any pain. Then, she held his hand as my Dad took one last big sigh and was gone.

I've thought about this lady a lot in the past few days. Although my Dad was holding her hand... to him it could have been his wife Denise's hand - that he wanted to comfort before he passed on. Maybe to Dad, he was holding the hand of his Grandpa Joe, St. Peter, or Jesus himself as they walked through the pearly gates of Heaven together. I will never know exactly what this lady meant to my Dad. But, I do know that her being there comforted him as he passed on to a better place in Heaven with the Angels.

With time, I hope to meet this kind lady and personally thank her. I am eternally grateful to her for what she did for my father.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

I am so sorry to hear about your dad. A loved one loss is so hard to handle and so many questions why.

My boys lost their dad 2 yrs ago in an accident. He also died alone with a stranger that had covered him with a jacket to help keep him warm,to hold his hand. This was very kind of the stranger to be with him. I took the boys to talk to this man,they were so thankful for him,and wanted to know his lasat words. Unfortunately, they weren't the words my boys were looking for. We were divorced, but to see the pain in their eyes and heart has been the hardest thing I have ever had to go through. He was too young to die, and my boys were too young to have to go through such grief.

Today, they are coping well, and I am so proud of them. They each got a tattoo in memory of their dad.
They told me that they are saving their left chest(heart) for me.
They still have bad days from time to time, special occasions etc.

This also gave we a wake up call, and I now try to take better care of myself. It scares me to leave at a young age and to leave my boys w/o a parent.

God Bless you and your family.