Sunday, June 29, 2008

Tractor Pull

If any of you knew my dad all that well, you know he loved a good tractor pull! Within the last 5 or so years he really got into it and he and my brothers, Joseph and Levi pulled regularly.

Not too long ago, Dad took apart the tractor and repainted it. It's more work than it sounds like! Then, this past winter Dad and Dale spent some dough getting the tractor some extra power. Dad talked about his tractor often. He was so proud of it. He was really looking forward to Tractor Pull Season that officially kicked off at Stewardson the day after he passed away.

This weekend, the tractor pull was at Shumway. We couldn't miss it. Joseph and Levi worked hard with Dustin and Dale this week to learn how this new souped up tractor rode. It's a lot different than last year and now she has a mind of her own!!!


I will admit that I bawled as I watched Levi pull first. It hit me... my dad will never pull again. I'll never see him riding the tractor again. Sob... This isn't getting any easier for me.

I am proud to announce that Levi got 3rd in his class and Joseph got 1st in his!!! YAY! I know Dad was smiling down on them from above... okay... let's be real... my Dad was a perfectionist... he would have told the boys what they could have done to pull further. That was just Dad. I miss that.

It would have put a great big smile on Dad's face to watch Dustin Marshall pull. He always wanted Dustin to, but timing just wasn't right. If Dustin could go back in time, he wouldn't have passed up the chance with Dad - his uncle and Godfather.

P.S. Judy McClure donated the signs on the tractor. How sweet is that?!? :-)

3 comments:

Aubrey said...

Sounds like a great way to make your dad proud!! I'm sure he was happy for them.

My Dad used to pull also.....gotta love some Internationals!! Forget those ol' John Deere!!

Dawn said...

Love the signs. Very sweet.
And how awesome is it that Levi and Joseph placed??? Congrats to them.
I do wish I could have hugged you while you cried. But I'm sure there were plenty of people giving you what you needed.

OrdnerFam3 said...

I wish there was something we could do to help w/ your pain. You know your dad was cheering from above and helping your brothers every step of the way! God Bless.