Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Today Show Thoughts...



This morning as I was working around the house I heard Hoda and Kathy Lee from the Today Show talking about a possibility in the airline world...


How would you feel if you were asked to step on the scale when checking in for your flight??? The same scale that they throw your luggage onto. Your weight would be broadcasted to anyone standing up at the counter. And... if your weight was deemed, too high you would have to pay extra to fly!!!


I for one, would not like anyone to weigh me! It is none of their business what I weigh!!! My weight is very private to me.


However, I will admit that once I flew from Frankfurt to London Hethrow and sat next to a turkish man that not only smelled like b.o. but also took up a big part of my seat because he was fairly large. It has happened more than just once that I had to share part of my full-priced seat with a larger individual because he/she took up more than just their own seat. It was frustrating. Afterwards, I joked that maybe airline tickets shoud be sold by the width of your butt - if it's wider than the seat then you should pay more. (Reminder, I was just joking) :-)

I understand that the rising fuel price is taking an effect on the airline industry... but weighing your passengers to get an extra buck... is that necessary?!? They've already stopped handing out pillows. They charge for nuts, pretzels, and snacks. The luxuries of flying are a thing of the past. They might as well throw us in a C5 cargo plane... oh wait, they'd probably charge us for earplugs!

Kathy Lee Gifford said if airlines start weighing their passengers... she'll just stay home. How do you feel about airlines considering charging more because of your weight? Is it fair?

6 comments:

Dawn said...

That's kind of bold. Wow.

Anonymous said...

I'm all for it. You pay for your fair portion of the fuel that way. The small people should have nothing to worry about (unless they pack too much).

Maybe this would help safety also, they could seat you acording to your weight and have the weight distributed evenly.

Fatty

Christina said...

I've always felt bad for the people that got moved on the plane because of weight distribution... I've seen it a couple times on little puddle jumpers.

Amy said...

Wow!! What is the world coming too? There is no freakin way I'm getting on a scale in front of an entire airport!! I wish airlines would completely re-think the seating arrangements on planes. I would love to see larger seats on a plane. I'm not a big person, but the average american traveler is larger now than in the 1970s when these planes were built. And doesn't fit well in the seats. I always feel terrible for a big person who is wedged into a tiny seat and needs a seatbelt extender!! they always look so uncomfortable.

Christina said...

Amy... good point. The seats should be larger!!!

Aubrey said...

If they do that, we all might as well wear sandwich boards with our weight written on them!!