Tuesday, April 22, 2008

An Early Mother's Day Gift

The Short Story:

Chris and Calvn got me a bicycle for Mother's Day! Calvin has a seat on back to ride in!!! I am sooo excited. :-)

The Long Story:


On Sunday, Chris and Calvin headed to Wal-Mart to get me some allergy medicine. On the way, Calvin told Chris to buy me a bike (we have been looking at them - and Calvin knew it). So, that is what they did! Calvin came upstairs to give me a bicycle horn!!! I was in shock! I did not expect a bike. I thought the reason they took so long was because they went out for ice cream. So, we headed down to the parking lot to see my new beautiful bike.


Chris got me the bike that I practically drooled over at Wal-Mart. It was a red and white Schwinn cruiser with fenders and a rack on the back.



If possible, I think Calvin was more excited about the bike than I was! We didn't have a seat for him, yet so he chased me around the parking lot for a few minutes. I didn't get to play for long. My allergies started acting up and soon I had to get back inside.


On Monday afternoon, Calvin and I picked up a child carrier for the bike. He also got to pick out his very own helmet... Elmo of course! We went home and patiently waited for Chris to get home so he could attach the carrier to my bike. We coudn't wait to go on our 1st bike ride!!!


As soon as Chris got home he started working on the child seat. About an hour later he finally said that it wouldn't work. So, I took the seat back to Wal-Mart to exchage it for a different one that mounted differently. Chris called while I was at Wal-Mart in Champaign. He wanted to exchange my bike for a different one of the same model because my bike had a bent rim.


As soon as I got home, Chris loaded up the bike in my car and headed to Savoy's Wal-Mart. He called about 30 minutes later because they didn't have another bike like mine. He said that Savoy Wal-Mart called Champaign's Wal-Mart and they didn't have one either. I knew better... I was just there and saw "my" bike. So, I called Champaign Wal-Mart and was put on hold for seriously over 7 minutes. Poor customer service really infuriates me! I hung up and when I called back I wasn't near as pleasant. This time I wouldn't let the lady just put me on hold. I insisted that she put someone else on the phone immediately or walk back to the bikes and look for herself. Then, she got Dan on the phone. He was wonderful and quickly told me that yes they had my bike. Thank-you Dan!!!


I called Chris back. He was already almost to Champaign Wal-Mart. He called about 20-30 minutes later to tell me that he would have to assemble the bike himself because the one they had wasn't assembled correctly. Great. It was 9:30 p.m. Calvin and I weren't going on a bike ride after all.


So, my very handy husband quickly assembled the bicycle like a professional. I was quite impressed! The tires were flat so I headed to Wal-Mart again to get a pump.


I had already started to assemble the child seat so it was ready for him to attach it to the bike. By 11:30 p.m. Chris was sure that there was no way this or probably any child seat would fit on this bike because of the rack on the back. The rack came pre-attached to another part of the bike. He tried to remove the rack but it was screwed on too tightly and was stripping when he tried to unscrew it.


We went to bed - leaving the mess. Maybe tomorrow it will work.


Today came. Calvin asked repeatedly to go on a bike ride. I explained that the bike was broke. Chris came home - still the bike would not work with this seat. So, we returned the bike.


We looked at Wal-Mart, Meijer, and Target before finding a good bike that I liked at Toys R Us. It's a cute champagne/gold and ivory cruiser. It's exactly what I had been wanting: simple, no gears, regular brakes, and a cushy seat!


It didn't take long for Chris to get Calvin's seat attached. The 3 of us headed outside (Calvin in Elmo pj's bc it was almost 9:30). My new bike is fabulous. Calvin loves it! We only rode it around the parking lot tonight since it was dark and late. Tomorrow afternoon (allergies permitting) we will go for a long ride... maybe to get some ice cream!

BIG THANK-YOU TO MY SUPER STUDLY HUSBAND AND MY SUPER HERO SON FOR THEIR SUPER-DUPER EARLY MOTHER'S DAY PRESENT! IT IS PERFECT! THANK-YOU SOOOO MUCH! I LOVE YOU GUYS!

2 comments:

Kimmylyn said...

I am soo jealous. I have been hinting for two years I want one of those.. Lucky Girl!!!

Sarah D said...

LOVE IT!!!

Retro cool!