Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Big Research Paper


For my Eng. 102 class I am doing a 10-12 page research paper on positive disciplinary methods and how parent education has changed over the past 30 years. Basically, the jist is that parents today have an abundance of educational resources to provide alternative methods to disciplining their children than only spanking or beating their kids. Child abuse can be a cycle and today's parents know that they can stop it. We don't have to be just like our parents or their parents (not that they were bad parents). We have options. I think today's generation of new parents are more aware of the psychological aspect of parenting.

By no means am I saying that I don't believe in spanking at all. There's a time and a place for it.
I'm a member of Cafe Mom and the Champaign Area Recreation for Everyone (C.A.R.E.) that provide input on their parenting methods, give me ideas, and listen when I have questions. Heck, other blogs I read give me ideas for Calvin and the best ways to direct him. Thank-you Bloggers!

I need some input... where do you get guidance for raising your child/children? What methods do you use? Any advice?

2 comments:

Candy said...

i read the book 1,2,3 Magic; listen to Focus on the Family radio program when i know the topic is parenting issues as well as visit their web site FocusontheFamily.org because it has great references/info. Dr. Dobson who founded the organization has a degree in childhood psychology and has written a lot of books one in particular Bringing up Boys is a great tool. I also just read any article, etc that deals with parenting and discipline to see if i can apply it to my situation or tweek the idea to get what i need. most of all- i follow through with my punishment- whether it be taking something away, making my boys sit in their rooms or whatever else i dream up. i have 2 boys 10 & 8 and they know when i make a demand/request for a change in behavior, i will follow through and sometimes that is enough to get them to stop whatever i don't like. i see so many parents who are so inconsistent with discipline the kid does not know what to expect and therefore, the kids behavior never changes because they know nothing will come of the threat of punishment. kids need rules and if they know the parents have consistent rules and expectations, disciplining is much easier. Candy Jansen ( Dawn's cousin)

Dawn said...

I definitely get ideas for craft time and discipline methods from other bloggers & moms in similiar situations. Fellow moms are the best resource available.
For us, the best discipline for Daelyn is to threaten to take away her story time. It's honestly the only thing that gets through to her. For the man, since he is in to EVERYTHING, we (unfortunately) have to swat his hand. Simply taking him away from temptation doesn't work because he knows how to get back to it. A firm No is not effective either.
I personally think that parents have to find what works best for their children and what works for one child may not work for the other.