Tuesday, September 4, 2007

"Dead fish"

4 out of Calvin's 6 fish died over the past few days. Chris always tried to sneak into Calvin's room to dispose of each dead fish without Calvin knowing about it. However, Saturday night while hanging out w/ my sister by the fish tank he very matter of factly said, "Dead fish." She of course rushed into tell me. It's like I didn't know what to do. I wasn't ready for him to experience the death of something. I overreacted because he was very calm. Yesterday morning there was another dead fish in the tank so Chris dumped out all the water, cleaned the tank, and put a new filter in before putting our last 2 fish back in. 1 of the remaining fish didn't look so good and it appeared that it was dead this morning. So, I told Calvin we'd go get new fish today. He picked out an orange and a black fish. The lady at the pet shop said these were more stable fish than we had before. I came home and moved the stump that I thought the dead fish was in and I kid you not, it swam away. He's a little slow, still but I think he's going to make it. :-)
Chris and I have our suspicions that the fish died of an overdose of dried apple-cinnamon crisps that Calvin and Daelyn thought the fish wanted the other night. These two are extremely thoughtful and wanted to share the snack. I've tried explaining that there is fish food and there is human food and we don't eat each other's food. :-)

2 comments:

Dawn said...

Hahaha...as I was reading about the poor fishies dying I was wondering if it had anything to do with their snack and then mention it and I burst out laughing. That's hilarious. Obviously not to the dead fish. But, still, funny.

Rebekah said...

Dear Calvin:

My thoughts are with you during this time of sorrow

Love,

Rebekah