Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Boot Camp


Today at precisely 2:33 p.m. I made my daily trek to the vending machine. Call it hunger, bordem, or whatever but every day around this time I get hungry! I patiently waited my turn at the vending machine... the evil terrorist that forces me to eat junk food daily! I slowly looked the rows over from top to bottom. Then, there it was: last shelf; second from the right... my reminder of what I call Summer Camp 2000... a BIG Texas Cinnamon Roll. I know this normally overlooked but perfectly delictable pastry might not mean much to you, but it sure does to me. Here's my story:

I spent Summer 2000 at Lackland Air Force Base in boiling San Antonio, Texas. Some people called it Boot Camp... I remember it much more like Summer Camp! It was the best summer ever. I spent my days running, marching, doing sit-ups & push-ups, trying to stay awake in the classroom, and folding clothes - all the while with my fun-loving flight and our brother flight. I was also the Chow Runner which gave me the privilege of announcing to the T.I.'s (Training Instructors - I think the Army calls these people Drill Sergeants) when we had arrived for meals at the chow hall. I was the proudest Chow Runner, ever. They even let me train the new chow runners so they could be as good as me! My flight proved day in and day out that we were second to none. We even got the coveted award of "honor flight" - that's Honor Flight 494 to you! Along with our success and good behavior came lots of "patio time". This was when were were allowed to go to a small enclosed area with phone booths and vending machines. This is where I first met the BIG Texas Cinnamon Roll. We enjoyed several evenings together out on that patio. And, by the end of the 6 weeks of B.M.T. I had grown very fond of the BTCR. However, it was not so fond of me. See, when I arrived at B.M.T I was 2 pounds under weight... in I had to gain 2 pounds by the end of the 6 weeks or I wouldn't be allowed to stay in the Air Force. Well... because of my love for the BTCR... I gained 12 pounds!!! I can't put all of the blame on my love, Big Texas Cinnamon Roll... I mean the food in the chow hall was amazing... but at the end of the 6 weeks I knew what I had to do if I wanted to lose some of my "extra" weight... I had to break-up with my new love... the BTCR!

Today, when I saw this ex-love of mine I wanted to cry. I'm not sure if it's because I miss the Air Force, the wrong time of the month, or because I want to rekindle my relationship with the Big Texas Cinnamon Roll... I think it might have been a combination of all three. I stayed strong. I know better than to go back to someone that made me gain so much weight!!!

I can't find a picture today from when I was in B.M.T. but the above picture is of me after I returned from my trip to the sandbox across the big pond. McChord AFB was having a Combat Dining In. This is when mostly enlisted Air Force members head out to a hangar, form teams, and end up in water and food fights. It was a great time - one I'll always remember with my friend Becca and they guys from the Special Operations Group.

1 comment:

Dawn said...

You are the only person I know who would call running, doing push-ups, etc their best summer ever. Great story though! I'll remember to stay away from the BCR.